Monday, February 20, 2012

Looking for Alaska

            I promise that this blog won’t turn into a John Green book review blog, but I just finished Looking for Alaska today and wanted to review it while it was still fresh. 
            This is a book about Miles “Pudge” Halter, who lives a life of social non-existence before he goes to boarding school in Culver Creek to “seek a Great Perhaps”.  Pudge’s life gets notably more exciting when he makes new friends Alaska, the Colonel, Takumi, and Lara. They set out to play pranks, find love, and make their way through high school.  After “the event”, their lives are changed dramatically.  I won’t mention what “the event” is, because it would ruin the book, and I want you to read it. 
I dealt with a similar event in high school, as well as shortly after, and this book brought up a lot of memories.  Green has a way of making emotions real and raw, creating very relatable characters.  I felt certain issues after “the event” we’re a bit drawn out, but when I put myself in Pudge’s place instead of being a reader, the timing felt more appropriate.
This book does have controversial topics, including under-age-drinking and sex.  However, it is crucial to note that Green does it for a reason.  When the book comes to its most sexually explicit scene, it is more uncomfortable and humorous than anything.  Green has it in the book to draw contrasts to other parts in the book that are more romantic but not sexual.  There are no controversies in this book that are there just for the sake of being controversial, and I feel that they are no reason to avoid this book.
I liked this book a lot, as I do most of Green’s novels.  He develops his characters well, and manages to craft a story that is eloquent, thoughtful, and humorous in just the right amounts.  I would highly recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment