Monday, February 27, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


            I originally read this book for a class I was taking.  I started it ahead of time to give myself a while to finish it.  Three days later, not having put it down at all, it was done and I was obsessed.
            In the distant future after the collapse of America, Panem springs up.  The Capitol rules twelve outlying districts and has all the power and wealth.  It exerts its power every year by taking one girl and boy from each district, known as tributes, and making them fight to the death.
            This is a phenomenal book for so many reasons. It has a story that grabs you, as well as a lot of depth for the critical reader.  The book deals with how wealth corrupts, both by the characters of The Capitol and seeing how Katniss, the books main character, tries to fit into their world.  She changes, almost without meaning to, to win their approval. In the Capitol, qualities that are valued are happiness, extravagance, and privilege.  The Capitol however does not value the same things in its tributes.  Tributes are valued if they are ruthless, clever, murderous, or obedient to the Capitol.  They are treated like savages instead of humans, further bowing to striking differences and privilege that seems undeserved.
            And that’s just the beginning!
            This is a story of a girl who struggles physically, emotionally, and morally.  It has action, romance, humor, tragedy, murder, a love of life and more.  It was a fantastic book, and will hopefully make a great movie too.

3 comments:

  1. I've actually been thinking about reading the Hunger Games. Enough people have spoken positively about it, and it a sincerely sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the movie will bring even more readers to the books, I agree it is a great read but dark. Have you read the Shirley Jackson short story The Lottery, Hunger Games reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read it, but I will add it to my list, thanks!

      Delete