Friday, April 20, 2012

The Tim Woodman of Oz- L. Frank Baum


            I originally read this in an illustrated book from the children’s section of my local library at age 10.  Years later, when I bought volumes 1 & 2 of “The Oz Chronicles”, I reread it, and was equally entertained both times.  I read this before I read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, the book that the movie is based on.  The movie alone was enough background information to understand and enjoy The Tin Woodman of Oz.
            Oz is a much bigger and stranger place than we were exposed to in the movies.  It’s full of interesting characters including inflatable colonies and green monkeys.  We are led through this world by the familiar character, the Tin Woodman.  We get a lot more of his background story, and he becomes just as lovable as the character I remembered from my childhood. I always love extra development of known characters, and I wasn’t disappointed.
            Without giving too much away, through the story we learn how the Tin Woodman came to be, hear how it complicated his love life, and see the measures he is willing to take to get it back. The book is full of humor, drama, action, and romance, and I enjoyed it just as much as a child as I did as an adult.
            Anyone that enjoyed the trip through Oz with Dorothy and Toto is sure to love a second go with the Tin Woodman, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment